Bible Bee "Off-Season" 2017

Started by Joshua S
C6a152228207f095fcf5c002f1841372?s=128&d=mm

Joshua S

I already posted this on Google+, but I suppose I'll post it here too.

Many of you are probably settling down to enjoy a nice break from weeks of intensive studying. After the break though, I know from personal experience that it is often a challenge to focus again on diligently studying the Word of God.

Last year, I and a few other Bible Bee-ers and alumni wrote a little study guide for John 13-21 (which turned out to be the Locals study passage). You can find it at www.swaimfamily.net/study_book.

This year, I am planning to do something similar. If you would like to be a part of writing a study guide with other believers on a passage of Scripture over the Bible Bee “off-season,” I would love your help. You can email me at joshuabb@believershome.com to be added to my mailing list. If you know of others who might be interested, even if they were not in the Bible Bee, please invite them too!

I realize you are all probably still exhausted from nationals, so I am not planning to start quite yet. Nevertheless, we can start talking about what we plan to do this year. I am thinking about studying Galatians, just because it is a short epistle that has not been picked for the Bible Bee yet, but I am open to other suggestions. Studying a minor prophet might be interesting.

5c3d80d9bf04a645711fc934afb54a80?s=128&d=mm

ZachB

Not sure how much time I'll have to put into it, but I'd love to be involved this year Joshua!

Joshua S

I'd love to have your help! I'll try to organize the group so that people with busy schedules can still contribute a little. Do you want me to use the email address on your Memverse profile for communication?

Joshua S

Nicolas Alexander is starting a study group to memorise 2 Corinthians, so I think it might be a good idea to write the study book on 2 Corinthians as well so that people can be part of both groups.

46ebbbfa6be61e25feb8e61dfb37cff1?s=128&d=mm

M27

A different Bible Bee off-season thingy (though I do think that it would be possible to do both):

"Each year, I memorize a book (or books) of the Bible in the off-season. I really enjoy this, but unfortunately, the 300-500 verses that I memorize I never review, so of course I have only a very vague idea of what 1 Thessalonians is about three years later. I have been trying to decide what to do this year now that Nationals is over, and I realized that I just really enjoy memorizing the passages that the Bible Bee picks for us. There are lots of random passages that I have been wanting to memorize, but since I haven't taken the time to memorize 2 Chronicles or Lamentations yet :), I've never memorized those passages. So, I've decided to pick a bunch of memory passages, equaling 200 verses. And for those of you who like nicely rounded numbers, this will be exactly 200 verses.

How this works:

• 200 verses in 90 days. Verses are released on January 1st, and the challenge ends on March 31st.
  • Just like with Bible Bee, memorize however much you want to! It's great if you want to memorize all 200, but if you only do 2, that's wonderful as well.
  • Comment on here with your email address. If you already have my email address, then you are welcome to go ahead and email me that you are interested.
  • I will send out emails every now and then. I want this to be very interactive and encouraging, so please hit reply all with encouragement, tips, thoughts, etc.
  • Everyone is welcome to join – contestants, siblings, parents, alumni, hosts, everyone!
  • It would be neat if people might could send a video of themselves reciting their favorite of the passages when the challenge is over. That would be completely optional, though.

I think that you will really like the selection of passages! There are some beautiful psalms, a Bible story that you've read a few times but may not remember, a speech from Acts, practical proverbs, a warning from Deuteronomy, passages from epistles, and much more. I'm still making the list of passages. The passages are ranging from 1 to 28 verses (though I think that there are probably only two passages that are over 20 verses).

I hope that you will join me! This will take time, but I think that you will probably be able to live a normal life if you do this. Just let me know if you are interested!"

You can either email me or send me a private MV message with your email address if you are interested in participating. It looks like it will be 35 passages. And if you're planning to memorize/study 2 Corinthians, then you might like to know that this challenge includes a chapter from it :).

Joshua S

@"Anna M" I'm considering joining your memorization group, but I'm hesitating because I don't want to overload myself. I guess I have plenty of time to decide though.

6eaece308ed9916f6205164f3617f683?s=128&d=mm

K

I know I'm not technically alumni, but I like to think of myself as "alumni two years early" because it sounds so much nicer than quitter. :P :P lol

6eaece308ed9916f6205164f3617f683?s=128&d=mm

K

I'm about 95% sure I won't, for two reasons. One, when I decided not to do BB this year, the way I understood it was that I quit altogether. Two, I'll most likely be doing college of some sort next fall. :P

46ebbbfa6be61e25feb8e61dfb37cff1?s=128&d=mm

M27

@"Joshua Swaim" It's fine if you're not able to do it all! I know that some people aren't planning to.

Trans