Social Chatting May-August 2021

Started by Waky_Zaky
Fc2b647e40ef1cad58fd484418c81fc4?s=128&d=mm

AK (a scribe)

Hi, Waky Zaky. I believe this time period should be 4 months, not 3. Since you started it, are you able to change it to "May - August 2020", as the first one was Jan - Apr 2020 (4 months, too)? That would then nicely take us to the end of summer, prior to the final 4 months of the year (Sept - Dec). Just a thought.

24fc6ba31a8ffaf1d54e7ca786a6fc08?s=128&d=mm

Waky_Zaky

Congratulations to Emily H, who is now on first in the Leader Board. You have continually worked hard on your verses, and now you have been rewarded for your diligence.

D31c974fe43f1230dbcb183971bfbdec?s=128&d=mm

Emily H

Aw, thanks Abi! Thankfully Milton was able to get back on to review, so I'm back in the #2 spot, but it was fun being first for a bit xD Miss you!

Well, Zachary, I've been working on finishing/reviewing John and I'm going to start memorizing Psalm 9, I think. What have you been working on memorizing?

Waky_Zaky

I have been working on 1 John 1-2, and then I will probably go to 3, 4, and 5. Are you in the group that is wanting to memorize the entire bible?

AK (a scribe)

Hi, Emily. I'm a little curious (if you don't mind). I see you are a member of the COBC church leaderboard. What does "COBC" stand for?

AK (a scribe)

And, Emily, thank you for correcting me on the proper name to refer to "Abi"! :)

Abi, on many posts I addressed you as "Random". My apologies. I hope you weren't offended. With so many names, :) , I was a little dense to realize that the name in parentheses is the one you go by.

And, Abi, can you explain your choice of "Random Narnian Warrior" for your Memverse name? Is it related to the Chronicles of Narnia (movies which I loved and still watch every now and then)? Why did you pick it? What meaning does it have for you?

1cb9307f95c5c6e460ff5a507424c920?s=128&d=mm

Random Narnian Warrior (Tarva/Abi)

Haha, no worries, AK. Abi is my real name, that’s all. Several years ago there was a thing going around in the forums where people would change their names occasionally just for fun, so I kept “Abi” tacked on at the end so it wouldn’t get confusing. A lot of people called me RNW (for “Random Narnia Warrior”). So being called “Random” didn’t offend me at all.

Yes, it’s absolutely related to the Chronicles! I’ve been a big fan of the books since I was 7, and at one point in the Memverse forums we were doing roleplays. I decided I wanted to play as a faun from the Narnian army, not any character in particular, therefore the username.

Emily H

@Zachary, that's awesome! 1 John is one of my favorite books! I hope you're enjoying memorizing it. No, I'm just in the Bible Bee Alumni group. How about you?

@AK, Oh, of course! COBC is my church and it just stands for "Country Oaks Baptist Church" (countryoaks.org). Also, thank you so much for your work editing verses on here. I really appreciate you every time I come across some little mistake and report it, and next time around it's fixed! :D

Waky_Zaky

You used to do Bible Bee? How many years were you in? Right now I am in my last year of Juniors.

AK (a scribe)

You're most welcome, Emily. I enjoy verifying verses for Memverse, even in many different foreign languages. While I only speak English, I have been gifted by the Lord with a great attention to detail, so I can check on the spelling of foreign words to an online foreign language Bible version, punctuation in any/all versions, etc. It's been fun, and a real blessing in English language versions . . . I've been introduced to some very nice sounding verses beyond the NKJV which is my preferred one and the one that I am currently moving most of my memorized verses back into.

Thanks, Abi, for the explanation. Appreciate it!

Emily H

@AK, what an awesome way to use your God-given talents and abilities to bless others! I definitely hear you when it comes to benefiting from the variety of versions. I memorize in KJV, but I always learn a lot and see things from a new perspective whenever I read ESV, NASB, NLT, or something along those lines.

@Zachary, I was in BB for eight years. I know Courtney xD Enjoy your last year of Juniors! Seniors is a fun group, though, and I think you'll enjoy that too =) Haha, thanks! It would be great to get some other people from my church to consistently use MV…several of them are happy with other memory programs though, so I'm thankful for that.

Waky_Zaky

Thought so. I remember when you used to come to our house after Bible Bee in San Antonio. Our house was like a second Bible Bee meeting since we were so close. Someone almost always stayed the night here after Bible Bee at least one or two nights.
Are you going to Nationals this year? I mean like a volunteer or something. If so, let me know.

Emily H

Yes! Those were good times. It must have been nice in a lot of ways to Nats so close to your house. I don't know if I'll be going as a volunteer this year yet, though I'd kind of like to. Are you going if you make it?

Waky_Zaky

Yes! This is one of my best years to go. My only other year of going to nationals was my last year of being a primary. If I want to get to Nats, then this year is my best chance. I have been told that I can get an 80% or higher and most likely make it. (Just a suggestion, I think we should talk about Bible Bee in the Bible Bee Forum. I will start one for us.)

047344ffee577c2252bfb14152bc2bb3?s=128&d=mm

Roy Phillips

recently a friend shared a pole on social media asking "can girls be part of 'the boys?'"
a vary complex topic that seems to take many forms. any thoughts?

Roy Phillips

Cool. What is the Bible Bee like now? I've been out of the loop for a few years now, Is the emphasis on verse memorization or bible trivia?

Cramming Russian, so I assume it's for school, are you enjoying it or at least feel you've learned something useful?

F8cb57ffa13e24a51d33e9d89c73d5ce?s=128&d=mm

lil'biblegal

well the emphasis was more on trivia for a bit but now it's starting to be a bit more on verses like one year we had three passages in 5 minutes.
And nope not cramming russian out of necessity I'm just learning it for fun and because I want to know 10 languages, I already speak 3 so I figured I'd start with Russian as my 4th.
What about you? What are you up to?

Roy Phillips

Learning for fun! My apologies, I did not realize I was conversing with a fellow nerd. Learning for fun is the best.
I had some friends teaching me Chinese but I only got as far as saying "hello" and counting to 10.

Working second shift at a Factory is the main thing I've been doing. In my spare time I've been making swords. Right now I am working on the pommel for an arming sword but burning charcoal isn't cheep so we'll see how that comes out in a few weeks.

lil'biblegal

Wow! Yep nerd here! And HA! I beat you at Chines at 4! I went to a doc once and just started counting to 10 in Chinese (I watched a lot of Ni Hao Kai Lan), imagine the her suprise, sadly in russian I can only count through eight (It's really tricky)
Sword making that's an interesting one, I wish you luck! I mean I suppose given that I do tae kwon do I'm kinda in the area??

Roy Phillips

Lol, i bet that was funny.
How much of Tae kwon do translates to European sword fighting systems probobly depend on the school.
If your school dose contact sparing with long kicks; then you probably have a good idea of timing, distance, and the mechanics behind offending and defending with a single motion. Stick and Bo staff forms should also contain useful data but I'm basing that speculation on comparisons between quarterstaff and longsword. Dose your school teach weapons?

What color belt are you and what is the significance of that rank?

lil'biblegal

Yup it does! ummm I just go to a dojo, now I'm feeling intimidated lol, I'm a red belt, which means one more to black (I'm ITF Tae kwon do)

Roy Phillips

Dojo's are schools i think. idk not really an expert. HEMA schools take the form of clubs with self-organized hierarches generally avoiding belt based systems. Black is the highest so your fairly advanced. Maybe I should feel intimidated….

Waky_Zaky

Yup it does! ummm I just go to a dojo, now I'm feeling intimidated lol, I'm a red belt, which means one more to black (I'm ITF Tae kwon do)

@lil'biblegal, Yeah, don't feel intimidated, you are just one level below the top tier!
What's your belt, Roy? (Don't ask me, I don't prefer that kind of stuff. I prefer sports like volleyball, basketball, hunting, swimming, etc.) I just know a few things because there was a class at the co-op I used the go to.

Roy Phillips

I have a black belt made of Walmart's highest quality leather…
I am a Novice, the lowest of the low, in both Longsword and Rapier. The curriculum was based on the manuscripts of Fiorie, Meyer, Capoferro, and Gigantie. Noble Science Academy didn't use belts because Europe was a different culture with different terminology and philosophies (and i think a 450 year difference).

You said there was a co-op class, please, you have twinged my curiosity. Why do you prefer one thing over another? I am curious to know more about your reasoning.

Waky_Zaky

I don't know why, but different styles of classes like that don't appeal to me very much, if at all. I don't know, maybe I prefer doing American type stuff more! ;) (I do love American restaurants more than others lol)

Roy Phillips

If your interested you do have the internet at your disposal.
The criteria is: nearby, fun, and affordable. I found HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) but it's not for everyone.

Waky_Zaky

Oh, thanks for the correction.

Yup it does! ummm I just go to a dojo, now I'm feeling intimidated lol, I'm a red belt, which means ONE MORE TO BLACK (I'm ITF Tae kwon do)

Roy Phillips

@"Roy Phillips" that sounds really fun, and I'm not sure I'd call someone that could chop you in half adorable….

Adorable may not always be a desirable attribute. Do you think "can't and is unable" is better then "could but choses not to?"
Anyway what is your Dojo like? Is it competitive? is there an emphasis on Tradition, Tournaments, Self-defense, or multiple?
What are your goals in training (general or specific)?

Waky_Zaky

I either use a crossbow or a 30 ought 6 rifle. Most of the time, I hunt white-tailed deer, but I will shoot turkey if I see them.

Roy Phillips

Crossbows are fun! i inherited my dads crossbow last year but need to do a lot more target practice before i even think about hunting with it. btw what part of the US do you live in?

Trans